Saturday, January 11, 2020

EPIC revival - Adeptus Titanicus project for 2020




Happy New Year 2020 to everybody!

Well time does indeed fly, my last post on here has been a long, long time ago...my apologies!

But a new year is now upon us and  my plan for 2020 is to get back more into the hobby i.e. play more tabletop games and also do more hobby stuff. Also, judging from the visitor numbers, this blog still sees very frequent visits and over the years we have managed to get over 58.000 hits in total! So thanks a lot from me for showing by regularly on this blog! :)

Now in the past couple of years I dived into a several hobby systems, but none really stuck on for overly long. My interest in X-Wing expired with the move of X-Wing to Edition 2, but there are many other game systems out there to try and play.

One is an old love of mine that dates back to the late 1980s and early 1990s, when Games Workshop was still all but unknown outside the UK, but for some reason I as a teenager stumbled over a Rogue trader rule book and a few White Dwarf magazine issues, some of these are still in my possession today.

In one of the White Dwarfs a game system called Adeptus Titanicus was briefly presented with some converted Reaver and Warhound titan miniatures by John Blanche and I marveled at these miniatures for many years.

Some years later the games from GW became more accessible and I dived full head into Space Hulk and Warhammer 40k. Although Adeptus Titanicus was still of high interest to me, no copies of the game nor miniatures could be found anywhere...

Then the ebay platform started, and miraculously I was able to obtain a used but in good shape copy of the Adeptus Titanicus game from there! My gaming group and I had many fun games with the system afterwards, I collected many more titans and special weapons of all sorts for the titans from ebay, and today there´s enough titans there for two demi-legions I suppose!

Many years later in 2018 GW rebooted Adeptus Titanicus (AT) in a somewhat larger scale with new minis, but also with a rather steep entry price tag. After releasing the most common titan types, they went on with more esoteric knights, variants titans etc., which added a lot to the flexibility of the possible army list. A number of other companies started producing addons for AT, from buildings to gaming mats, and now in 2020 the time was right for me to get back into AT and call it the hobby project I would like to focus on for now.

Initially I had wanted to purchase the AT Grand Master edition, but the troops options in there were still slim and I wasn´t a huge fan of the provided buildings. Hence with some bargain boxes around like the Knight House Battleforce nowadays, I decided to pick and choose from the entire range of AT available and invest into some other scenery. On ebay I found a large mint set of EPIC Armageddon plastic ruins a few weeks back, in my opinion perfect for AT.

So far the titan forces I have bought include:
  • 2x Warlord titans (with Plasma Annihilators and Power Claw)
  • 2x Reavers (with Meltacannon & Chainsaw)
  • 2x Warhounds
  • 1x Knight House Battleforce (i.e. 12 Knights in total)
plus an English rule set.

My plan is to start with building the Knights first and then slowly work my way upwards through the scale to the Warlord titan, the largest kit so far in the range. I intend to magnetize all Titan weapons and possibly also the Acastus Knights from the Battleforce for maximum gaming modularity.

I will build both a Traitor and a Loyalist titan legion, and split the forces evenly. My main reason for this is to ease up casual games with my gaming group, as they have not yet started the path to AT...

Legion-wise I have decided on this, one of my old favorites:
For the traitors my favorite legion is the Legio Magna (Flaming Skulls) but it has no official legion rules yet, so for now I will go with another favorite that has at least rules which is the

Right now I have finished washing all plastic sprues from the kits in warm soap water to clear any release agents from the injection molding. Next up is a trip to the local kid´s store to hopefully obtain some railways N or HO scale street and concrete plastic tiles. I have used these before but I need to get something in a smaller scale for the titan bases. Then I´ll start with building the bases and assemnling the first set of knights.

One other motivation aspect that I have not mentioned here is the scale of AT. It is simply much fast to paint smaller miniatures where you don´t need to be super exact. I am not a huge fan of painting, hence a small project, small miniatures and miniature count is some something I can hopefully manage. :)

Below is a shot of the very first Adeptus Titanicus Edition from ~1988 on the left and the recent incarnation of Adeptus Titanicus from 2018 on the right. That´s 30 years in between!



More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment